Sunday, April 17, 2011

Money - The Greatest Taboo

People are usually more willing to talk about sex, politics, and religion than they are about their personal relationships with money. How much we make and how much we spend are often considered top secret affairs, as well as a subject of speculation by others, usually those who suspect that they have less than those about whom they speculate.

Many work places have company policies against revealing one’s salary to others, guarding I suppose against the mass uproar that would result from people finding out their relative worth due to others in similar positions or with similar longevity or output. On public opinion surveys, the one question more people refuse to answer over all others is related to their income.

Freud (1908) equated money with feces and wrote about our unconscious connection of money with sex, babies, and gifts. Other major theorists (Fenichel, 1945; Ferenczi, 1952; Turkel, 1988) have expanded on this, viewing money as representative of all things (material and emotional) that can be given or withheld, as well as a symbol of personal worth, competence, control, and security. When I think about my own history and relationship to money, I agree that they were on to something.

When I was in private practice, I often felt embarrassed when clients inquired about my fee, not quite feeling like it was within my rights to collect one. If they showed signs of leaving the session without payment, it was next to impossible for me to remind them of it. In my own analysis, fee increases have often felt like serious narcissistic injuries. As clients, we do not want to be reminded that we are paying for the “love” of those who would help us. I had a therapist once who was constantly changing her individual and group fee, struggling no doubt among her personal politics, her need to support her family, and her own money demons.

I know people who threaten, sometimes overtly, that insufficient attention paid to them (sufficient being a constantly changing concept) will result in rewrites of wills. Others find it impossible to be happy for someone else’s good fortune – whether it be a completed home renovation, a trip-of-a-lifetime, or an early retirement. They can only see other’s good fortune in relation to what they don’t have or feel they can’t get. I’m not saying that I’ve never felt that way either. I’ve written before about feeling envious of others (see How much is enough? 8/20/10) and stuck in a life trajectory that I perceived led nowhere (see If I just worked harder, 9/6/10). I am still mystified by how some people manage to maintain spacious (and I assume expensive) NYC apartments and just cannot figure out how they do it (and wish I could).

After I wrote my blog entry about paying off credit cards, my sister commented that she was surprised as she never knew I had a balance. And I was surprised that she was surprised. She and her husband, she informed me, make it a practice to pay their credit cards completely every month, even if it is a stretch. My best friend does that too. What’s funny to me is that all those months (perhaps years) of carrying a balance, of getting almost to zero and binging out on something, I could have paid it off in one swoop. I don’t live month to month, hand to mouth. I haven’t robbed Peter to pay Paul since my thirties. My credit score is stellar. So what kept me from just writing a check and being done with it? Everything is in one’s history, as my “heart mother” would say.

My mother sat my sister and me down at our green-topped kitchen table one Saturday when I was about 8 years old. She had four small round Tupperware containers big enough to fit maybe a serving of pudding or jello. She had turned each one into a bank by cutting a narrow slot in the lids, and her mission was to teach her daughters fiscal responsibility. She laid down thick magic markers, one black, one red, one green, and said that we could decorate our banks any way we wanted. One container would be designated for savings; the other was for spending.

Then she said we would each receive a weekly allowance of 75 cents. Three quarters. “How much goes in each one?” I wondered. Three quarters, two containers. “Well, what do you think you should do?” she asked. “Fifty cents to spend and twenty-five to save, or twenty-five to spend and fifty to save?” I knew instinctively the right answer to the question. There was that word “should.” Dutifully, I said we should save fifty cents and keep twenty-five for spending. Mom looked pleased. I reluctantly dropped two quarters into the savings container on which I had drawn flowers and a house, and one into the spending container decorated with stick people with skirts and ponytails. Mentally I was already calculating how many weeks it would take me to accumulate $1.59, which was what a new doll outfit cost in the second floor toy department of W.T. Grant’s in town. Forever.

The experiment didn’t last very long, a few months at most. Sometimes she didn’t have the quarters to give us, sometimes she was busy and said she’d give them to us later. I never forgot when it was allowance time, but I learned to gauge when it was ok to remind her and when it was best to let it go. The Tupperware banks became repositories for the occasional dollar we’d get in a greeting card for a birthday or holiday or a 50-cent piece from my grandfather. 

Several years later, somewhere around 14, when I was too young for working papers and hadn’t yet convinced anyone with little children that I was a viable babysitter, tired of asking my parents for money and eager to be independent, I brought up the concept of an allowance again. I made my case carefully. They could give me a set amount that I would use to buy lunch at school, to go to the movies or bowling with my friends, to buy candy and pop from the corner mini-market, and keep myself in Dippity-do and Noxema. Then I wouldn’t have to keep asking them for money. How much did I think I needed, they wanted to know. I low-balled it, believing that I didn’t have a chance in hell of getting a “yes” but not wanting to completely sabotage my chances. I was stunned when they considered my figure, and said ok to my proposal.

I felt so grown-up when mom counted out one and five dollar bills into my waiting hands, and I rushed up to my pink bedroom to create envelopes I would label “Lunch,” “Fun,” “Candy,” and “Personal.”  But this didn’t last long either. Mom didn’t always have the money to give me every week, and I felt guilty asking her for it. But my desire to compartmentalize my money, designating “funds” for this need or that want was established.

To be continued……


References:
Fenichel, O. (1945). The drive to amass wealth. Psychoanalytic Quarterly, 7, 69-95.
Ferenczi, S. (1952). First Contributions to Psychoanalysis. New York, NY: Brunner/Mazel Publishers.
Freud, S. (1908). Character and anal erotism. Standard Edition, Volume 10. London, England: Hogarth Press.
Turkel, R.A. (1988). Money as a mirror of marriage. Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanaysis, 16, 525-535.

8 comments:

  1. lunch, fun, candy, and personal...I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it makes me laugh. Interesting categories that probably cover more than I thought they did. Here's to 14-year-old wisdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember, of all the people I know, you have always done more with less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way Washington is eyeballing the demolition of Social Security, I wish I had a few of those envelopes squirreled away! Will we ever feel financially "safe"? I doubt it. Not as long as we are not totally in control of our financial futures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I still had a few of those envelopes. Right now I'm carving out a couple of holes in my mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I was thinking about the mattress bank the other day.
    I bank at one of those behemoths still trying to absorb the last bank it purchased, and lately I've had all kinds of troubles.
    Since my money gets .oooo1% of interest I've thought, what's the point of keeping it tied up in a place where frustration is a recurring event?
    The problem, however, with my having total control of my money in the mattress is that I'll know where to find the holes.
    And in short order I'll have a superb collection of shoes, if discipline doesn't prevail.
    I'm afraid my financial future will always entail keeping the funds just beyond arms length, for my own good!
    Thanks for another thought provoking entry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you re: the banks and interest. Pitiful. Not worth the extra hassles. I'm pretty good with cash, so the mattress plan would work for me. I don't like to part with it. It's the invisible money that I prefer spending. :-)
    It doesn't quite seem as "real."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that money is a fairly universally taboo subject, but honestly, I can't understand why. Some circumstances preclude people earning more, that I can understand, but asking clients for copays...you are providing them a service. That is part of their fee, and you've earned it.

    To be fair, it took me awhile to feel comfortable learning to ask, but now I'm uncomfortable if I don't. That's our worth, and we are worth being paid. If they are not happy with the service, they are free to choose another therapist.

    People should use manners and be appropriate, about asking and disclosing, but it should not be such a big deal. It's money. We all need it, but it is up to us if we let it define us!

    ReplyDelete