Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cranky & Irritable

I’m cranky and I’m irritable. There are no better words to describe me at this moment…. Those who are around me on a daily basis will concur that it is, in fact, not just this moment, but lately almost every moment. To them I apologize for my poor behavior, or more to the point, my sharp tongue and my impatience. I am truly trying to control myself but I am slip-sliding.

I’m not 100% sure why this is my state. But…..

I’ve been deeply, unshakably sad for months because someone I wanted to be in my life does not want me in theirs. The post-mortems of every last one of our communications have been endless as I’ve struggled to figure out exactly where I went wrong in misreading signals and misunderstanding intentions. Some of the attraction is the residue of a childhood yearning to be loved and valued by a narcissistic parent. There is also an element of identifying with the aggressor. More than once, I have become emotionally involved with someone who really frightens me with their potential for ferocity. If I can get the one who bites on my side, then perhaps I will not be bitten. But toxic once is toxic always.  

Sugar has been a challenge. I wrote a few weeks ago about an intention to cut down, to detox myself from that sweet drug. I admit that it’s been very, very difficult. I have managed to limit my consumption of ice cream to two teaspoons at a time, no more than once a day. I pay attention to it when I eat it. And I put the carton away without too much longing. When the freezer stock of ice cream is gone, I won’t buy any more.

Except for one birthday celebration, I have avoided sugary treats at work. But every day is a battle. I get to Grand Central Terminal in the evening and have a few minutes before my train. My attention strays to the Snickers, Milky Way, Almond Joy, and Peanut M&Ms displayed in Hudson News. I pass at least three bakeries in the terminal. Cannolis, my favorite fruit tarts, cupcakes decorated like art, cheesecake, black and white cookies – they entice me to come closer. I tell myself I don’t really want them, and then I admit I’m lying. I desperately want them. I imagine they will make me feel better, soothe whatever is hurting. I can also imagine some people saying, “Oh go ahead, stop depriving yourself, life is short.” And I understand their point. But they don’t understand mine. If I give into the craving, I take steps backwards. I will just have to start over and I need to keep going, to push through this. I need to get past the point, if it exists, of thinking, believing that I will feel better if I just consume some sugar-laden delicacy. Sugar is a short-term “fix.”

Winter is the anniversary of the deaths of both of my parents. My mom died five years ago in early January; my father seven years ago in mid-February. My mom was thirty years old when I was born. When she was alive, I always considered that thirty-year difference as a kind of insurance policy. Whatever age I was, I still had thirty years before I would be her age. But now she’s gone, the policy is no longer in effect.  I wonder whether I even have another 30 years. I’m not afraid to die, unless it’s violently. It’s just that there’s so much I still want to do, I find myself feeling panicked that I’ll run out of time.

I awaken in the morning and although I used to look forward to eating breakfast and having that first cup of coffee, all I want to do is turn over and bury myself in the blankets. I used to love my work. But the cumulative effects of too many and unrelenting demands over too long a period of time in an increasingly no-win situation, too few staff (the ones I do have are FABULOUS), no positive reinforcement and little awareness of what actually happens in “a day in the life” from most have taken their toll on my body and my spirit. Someone had the audacity to say maybe I could “use” people more creatively to do the work of my department. My tongue bled though my real desire was to draw blood. I could do that creatively.  

My best friend and I talk about the earliest possible time we can retire, question whether we could retire now and survive financially (probably not), and wonder if we have sufficient emotional stamina to make it until such time as we can. She is feeling about the same as I am these days.

My “heart mother” tells me about a place in Vermont that attracts artists and craftspeople. My daughter sends me a position announcement for a job in upstate New York that she thinks would be perfect for me. [Can’t we find some place where it’s not so darned cold for half the year?] I go on realtor.com and check out the cost of real estate in warmer places. I wonder whether there is a place where the cost of living is less than where I live but where there’s enough happening to keep my interest and my neighbors don’t all hold political and social views that are polar opposites of mine. I consider and reject various parts of the country for that reason, the terrain or the weather. I’m not afraid of uprooting myself, of going where I know no one. I’ve done that before. But I also know better than to believe in the geographical cure. And as if to caution me, there is an article on line this morning about moving where taxes are lower. The comments to the article are vehement in pointing out what citizens give up in services to get lower taxes. Sadly, there is no easy solution. 

Still something needs to change, whether it's circumstances or something inside me. A friend from my co-op, now happily retired, and I used to walk together in nice weather and talk about our upcoming “dreads” for each week. Once the “dreads” were isolated events…. Now they are full days.

I’ll figure it out. I’m pretty resourceful. I’ll stop the wheels from spinning before the tires blow out. I must.

9 comments:

  1. The sun is shinning today - that helps, but, otherwise, I don't mind sharing the boat with you! We will get through it (but please, do NOT move to a colder climate).

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooch. Existential despair without mom or sugar. At least these freezing days are getting a little longer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's more toxic, the sugars we pour into our systems or the unrelenting expectation of personal perfection on our parts?
    I did something stupid to my left knee a couple of days ago (trying to strengthen my quads to help my poor knees, I made one knee worse) and have been literally hobbling around for two days and doubt it will heal fully anytime soon.
    This means that I've had to shift gears and move slower and spend more time thinking how I might accomplish something rather than forging ahead to accomplish it.
    In other words, I'm forced to be more mindful and I can't say it's been a bad thing for me.
    Nevertheless, I'm with you, empathizing the whole way and wondering some of the same things you're wondering.
    Peggy said it best..., "is that all there is?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Northern Virginia is nice; mostly Democratic point of view so not to worry about that; better weather (usually); close to "home"; near both the mountains and the beach; close to DC and lots of happening things to do; and you have family here. Come on down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SO with you on this one. Thanks for keeping it real. My current decision is that I am only making one decision at a time and that I'll make the best one I can in each moment. (That's 'cause I'm overwhelmed with dealing with my parent's bad decisions at the moment.) And, you're the first person I've heard articulate the 'locational politics' idea other than a few of my friends. Maybe there are a lot of us and we just haven't been saying anything. Thanks for a post that left me feeling like I'm not the only one who's ...

    And, one 'tool' I've been using with the 'crankies' is that every time I think something cranky, I'm making myself think of something positive too. That has helped me through this patch of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No words of wisdom or suggestions. Just some hugs and kisses.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan, I am sorry for your feelings of loss with the hopes of the special relationship. Somethings we can't control...Simple pleasures we can.
    Please be patient with yourself...and eat a damn cookie once in a while. 2 teaspoons of ice cream, are you kidding me? Certain food cravings are how we know what our bodies need...
    Please consider changing your new guidlines.
    Much love to you, Your friend from California.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan, It is 5:00 in the morning and I could not sleep.I am drinking chamomile tea and reading your blog. My mind was in a whirl all night, I could not turn my thoughts off. I swear if one more person asked me yesterday at work what I was going to do about the field meeting on Wednesday I was going to chew them up and spit them out. Since we returned at work from holiday break,I too have been extremely cranky and irritable. I too have to apologize for my impatience with others. I was so glad to read your blog and know I am not alone in this.
    Hugs and more Hugs,your loving friend in Westchester

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree with your friend from CA. Deprivation to the point of overwhelming anxiety is not good-- Be relentless to get where you want with that sugar kick the habit thing (winning that battle will be for an internal reason even you may not be able to fully explain) but our bodies DO tell us what we are lacking at times!
    Dealing with daily stress of where and when with the days counting down to do them is thinking tooooooooo much- planning is good- looking around at options is great--- just don't make yourself feel that one choice has to be the final choice- things happen for a reason and a push may be needed now and then but life is too short to always make the perfect decision the 1st time and life is a journey to be enjoyed--- find the treasures Jan!!! Luv Ya Dawn

    ReplyDelete