Friday, September 24, 2010

Are We Now Who We Were at Three?

I am almost four and I am in a strange bed in a very large room. Actually it is a crib and I feel embarrassed and mad because I am too old for a crib. There are seven other cribs in the room. Some of them have other children in them but I am not interested in them or why they are here. I want to go home. 

My crib is by a window that looks into a hallway. I can see out the window because it is big and not too much above my head when I sit up.  I spend my time waiting for my mother and father to come. I hope they do. I feel afraid that I have been forgotten and will never be fetched from here.

This morning I have made a nurse very mad at me because I won’t eat the blobby bowl of oatmeal she has thrust into my crib. She does not know that something very awful will happen if I have to swallow it.  I watch her walk across the floor straight toward me looking like she’s going to make me do something I do not want to do. But my mind is made up. I will not eat the oatmeal. As she stands over me looking very mad and talking to me mad-like, I think I might start to cry. But then the nice nurse comes to my rescue. “Why,” she says, very kindly “Would you like some frosted flakes? I think we have some frosted flakes in the kitchen.” “Yes, please,” I manage to squeak out. “But I don’t want any milk on them.”  Something awful will happen if I have to swallow mushy cereal too.  She looks at me like she’s puzzled but she brings me some frosted flakes in a bowl. No milk. The mean nurse shakes her head, still looking mad-like but goes away and leaves me alone and in peace to eat my dry cereal… just the way I like it.

I am in this place with all the cribs because I have a kidney infection. I don't know what that is. But I know I have it because my family – my mother, my father, and my little sister who is two – has just driven home from Florida after visiting my grandma and grandpa. My father gets mad when I say I have to go to the bathroom too much, and so I don’t tell him. I hold it. But I’m not supposed to do that any more. 

Later, a lot of men in white coats come in to the big room and hover over me in my bed. They lift my right arm high above my head and look at it closely under a big light above my bed. I feel a lot of little pin pricks on my arm. I don’t know what they are doing and they don’t talk to me about it at all. I only know I want them to finish soon because they are hurting me. I want them to go away and when they finally do, I spend my time worrying that they will come back.

When it is finally time to go home, after five long days and nights, lots of people are standing around in that room looking at me as I am dressed in my real clothes. Someone asks me which nurse is my favorite. I hesitate a minute and point right to the nice one who’d rescued me. I know immediately it wasn’t nice to have done that, because, after all, the mean nurse is standing there too. Later in the car, I will be told that, in fact, it had not been very nice of me to express my preference. I was not sure what I should have done.  

This story springs forth from a seminar on gerontology that I am taking this semester. During a lively discussion this week about the process of aging, my professor quotes a writer who states that beyond age 30, our characters are firmly set. One of my classmates laughs and counters that by three our characters are set. “What do you think,” Dr. C asks. “Does anyone remember being 3? Are you who you were at 3... or 4?”  We sit in silence for a few minutes, each of us drawing on our own first memories. And then some of us begin to nod our heads.

So – what about you…. Are you now who you were at age 3?

9 comments:

  1. I'm older than that! At least nine or maybe ten, but then I've always been an old soul. Thanks for this, Jan. It's very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hoot..., you made me recall a story involving my beloved aunt who just died. She took me to church during the Christmas season. I was three she was eleven. It wasn't quite Christmas and we marched up to the manger scene to the right of the alter.
    We peered into the humble shelter and I pointed in horror and said for the whole church to hear, "...hey, what happened to the kid?!"
    Fast forward fifty nine years, I'm still that irreverent three year old.
    Thanks for the memory Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the story! So funny! I hope more people will share their memories. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how the essence of us is drawn to the surface by memories recounted by others - whispered slowly in low lights while wearing pajamas or seated by a fire on a chilled night showing a speaker's breath or in a tent on a hot sticky night with a flashlight's muffled glow at the bottom of a chin.

    We were a very large family. I was the oldest girl, and the second oldest, of nine. We were raised in a house much smaller than my parents had planned for. There were chores a plenty and if one were not to perform one's duties one would pay dearly. We had friends who would come to visit but when the clock rolled to 6PM, we could hear the heavy tires of my father's company truck coming down the road and our friends knew it was time for them to leave and I mean "get the heck out of there fast!". All of our clothes and books and book bags were to be nowhere in sight, the kitchen floor was to be swept and there should be no sign of other living beings in the house when my father arrived. That was just during school time. Summer was hell too. Later on, as we sat at our mother's kitchen table, I confessed that I always wished I was an only child and that I had dreamed continuously about living in a much bigger house with quiet, civilized people. I told my siblings I was convinced for the longest time that I was adopted. My youngest sister then took a deep breath while she and my mother exchanged a suspicious gaze. Mom bowed her head slightly, wrapping chubby fingers around her tea cup, her forearms firmly afixed on the table in front of her. Her expression was serious. I heard nothing - no breathing, no laughing, no snickering. "I do suppose it could be true", she said. ",..that you were switched at birth".

    ReplyDelete
  5. These posts are really making me think. My memory was of being about 3 or 4. My dad has been on a trip - probably a medical trip to the VA hospital in another part of the state. (He had a major injury that he lived with his whole life.) I was so excited that he was coming home -and I knew that he was bringing me a present. I could feel that anticipation and the joy.

    It's funny, when I first read your post, I thought, "oh no, there's no part of the me that was a child left here - not in my character." But, despite all that came after and how it impacted me, that joy and anticipation is still there. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember 3 but I do remember other early times, one of which was also in a hospital in a crib of which I was too old. It is amazing how doctors didn't tell children what was going on. Some parents did. Some did not. Glad to see our discussion prompted such reflections! I do believe that much of who I am, I developed in those very early years.... which makes me feel a lot of pressure as a parent of three young kids. And as we discussed, though our general personality may be developed, we can always adjust how we cope, react, and move forward... thank goodness for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Robin, Kay and Kelly for sharing your comments and experience. Sometimes I feel very trapped by those defining moments of my personality and other times I am empowered to transcend them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't remember 3, but I can tell you that little kid in there has ruled my life from day one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did the right thing pointing to the good nurse. If any mistake was made, it was made by the adult who put you on the spot by asking.

    As for the nature/nurture debate, I'm for it. In fact I believe some of our personality traits are preprogrammed in our genetic code.

    I haven't read the article yet, but the most recent Time issue looks to have some interesting things to say about prenatal physical determinants. Slightly off-topic, perhaps, but where there's smoke...

    Finally, I've decided that age three is the perfect age. We're old enough to have acquired language and mobility, we've mastered the art of self-administered hygiene and own a curiosity that keeps us entertained, without having to face the responsibility that comes a short time off ("Time to wake up and dress for school!")

    ReplyDelete