Sunday, January 5, 2014

Resolved: Just Keep Moving in 2014

I’ve slid once again, along with everyone else, into another new year. It is one in which I will turn 61 (Gasp! How did this happen?). I will return to Barcelona (and Gaudi!!), explore the northeast quadrant of Arizona, and shuttle happily from city to city around the Baltic Sea during 2014. I will also begin the arduous (and hopefully fulfilling) work on my dissertation.

As I always do at the end of one year – as many others – I take an internal survey. What was positive, what was negative? What did I accomplish that I wanted to and what did I not do? What am I thinking about as I move my life into another calendar? Here’s what it looks like:

Positive:
* No longer have to walk on eggshells every day. Some readers will “get” that.
* Passed the rest of my comprehensive exams
* Spain with my sister
* Grand Canyon with my brother
* Maine with my daughter
* A class of (mostly) terrific students who stayed awake Thursday nights long enough to learn research
* My wonderful – repeat, wonderful – staff who have my back and are my friends

Negative:
* I’ll get back to that

What did I accomplish that I wanted to do?
* Passed into the dissertation phase
* Consumed less sugar
* Practiced my guitar most days
* Eliminated some of my clutter (go Ebay!)
* Entertained friends at my home - I’ve been talking about that for years

What did I not do that I wanted to do?
* Dance
* Write regularly
* Take another surfing lesson (I’ve GOT to get up!)
* Visit certain older friends
* Exercise more -- or just exercise. Forget the 'more' part. Who am I kidding? I can’t figure out how to exercise and not sweat so much. It’s bad for my hair.

What did I learn?
* Facebook friends can be a real source of support during trying times.
* I really do not have to answer the phone. So if you want me, email me. 
* People have the same personalities as adults that they had as children. If they irritated you then, they will probably still irritate you now.
* I am not ‘stuck’. There are ways out of impossible situations.

What do I want to do in 2014?
* Start working on a dissertation. I gave myself off the holiday season so I could enjoy it for once.
* Figure out a way to include dance in my life
* Write more regularly. The barrier I encounter is not wanting to p** off the living.
* Go take that 2nd surfing lesson. I finally have feeling back in my left knee from my first attempt.
* Visit those older friends.
* Tighten the sugar ban. Eat less gluten.
* Sleep more.
* Spend less (read: Stay OFF Amazon)

I was supposed to get back to the negative but I have nothing to say. Sure, there were days that didn’t go well – even weeks. But I have nothing to complain about. Nobody close to me has died or gotten seriously ill or been in any accidents. Nobody has lost a job or suffered financial ruin. Everyone is speaking to one another. There is a lot to which I look forward. Dare I say I am content?

What are you thinking about as you enter 2014?

7 comments:

  1. Jan, it's great to see you're back at your desk and writing--it ain't dancing, but has its own joys...Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it does have its own joys. Happy new year to you as well.

      Delete
  2. The dissertation is something that teaches you to persevere beyond what you thought were your limitations. The value of my dissertation comes to me when I come across challenges or set backs at work and they never suck as much as my dissertation did! Perspective is a valuable tool! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I'm kind of looking forward to writing it. Maybe I'm naive! :-)

      Delete
  3. I wish you well in achieving your goals for 2014, Jan. I'm aiming to continue my yoga, travel someplace new, read some classics I've never read, for starters. Get out there and dance, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Where might you travel and what are you thinking about reading? Your goals are great (and fun).

      Delete
  4. Yes Jan- You are one not to stop moving and you amaze me how you can plan so far ahead- I have never been able to pin down that ability!!! Enjoy 2014- sounds like it will be a rewarding one for you*** Dawn

    ReplyDelete