Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Losing Momentum

I lost my momentum. It’s as simple and as complicated as that. ’m not sure why I just stopped writing after about 18 months of almost weekly outpourings. It isn’t that I got too busy. I’m always busy, and in some ways, since I was taking courses in the doctoral program at the time, I was busier then than I am now.  If you take into consideration the fact that I was under constant time pressure to do homework, write papers, and study for exams, it just doesn’t make sense. Despite unwavering deadlines, I managed to carve out time to express what was going on in my head. And then I stopped.
This stopping is familiar territory for me. I have not always been aware of that but this year – no, last year now – it happened often enough to seep in to my consciousness. I finished my coursework in the doctoral program one year ago. Without missing a beat, I studied like mad for one of four comprehensive exams I needed to take. I passed that exam in January. And then I stopped…stopped studying….stopped reading anything related to academics… just stopped.
I picked up my guitar and started practicing again. The last time I played had been the winter my mom passed away – my sister and I had taken our guitars to mom’s home where we were spending half-weeks each while she was in hospice care. We practiced playing Christmas hymns for the Christmas eve service we would conduct in the living room at her bedside. That was December 2005.
I bought a lesson book….relearned the chords, the notes, the runs, one page at a time. I practiced daily no matter how late the hour. I regrew fingertip callouses… nice ones. It felt great. I felt alive – as I have always felt when playing music has been a regular part of my life. Then my long-planned kitchen renovation began. And I stopped playing. Not a gradual miss a day here, miss a day there. I just stopped. 
I took a six-week series of tap dancing classes. This required a weekly Sunday night local train trip into Manhattan in the middle of winter. It did not matter to me what I had to do to get there. I loved it. I couldn’t wait from one week to the next. After the series ended, I joined a regular class on Sunday evenings, and never missed a one. I felt alive – as I always have during the “dance period” times of my life. And then in the early autumn, my elderly uncle who lives in western New York state had a stroke. My aunt and uncle have no children so nieces, nephews, and godchildren came together to help out. My presence was needed on a consistent basis on the weekends to provide relief for those closer residing help-givers who were on duty during the week. The 350 mile distance from their home to mine was too far for me to make it back in time for my dance class on Sunday nights. And so I just stopped.
The crisis has passed. My aunt/uncle are in Florida for the winter. He’s playing a better game of golf than he has in years. I am free on Sunday nights. But I am not dancing.
Not dancing. Not making music. Not writing. Three things that feed me, fuel me, give me hope, fulfill my need to create. I should add ‘not studying’ to the mix. Not that studying feeds, fuels, provides hope or makes me feel creative. But it is a necessary ingredient to keep moving toward the doctoral goal that I’ve set for myself.  
I’m not one to make New Year’s resolutions as I view them as a set-up for failure. But the passage of 2012 in to 2013 is as good a time as any to resolve to figure out what makes me ‘just stop’ so I can ‘just stop’ letting it happen.  
What have you stopped that you need to jumpstart?

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you got started again! Sometimes our pleasures must wait so that we can savor them as pleasures and not merely routines. As one who regularly slogs along with her blog, it sometimes becomes a chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. When the pleasure becomes so routine and represents an interruption of other things we'd rather do, it might be time to rethink it.

      Delete
  2. I've stopped a lot of stuff too, not just in 2012 but all of my life. I've stopped being married, stopped being mad about being married and then stopped being mad about not being married. Stopped liking being alone. Stopped hating myself for all of my faults. I've stopped talking to myself and then started talking to myself again (afterall, I am the best listener I know). I stopped hiking - and missed it - but I only hike once in a while these days. I stopped going to the gym - but I'm sure I'll pick that up again. I stopped being sad about stuff that keeps happening over which I have no control. I stopped worrying about having approval of my kids, my siblings and co-workers. I stopped worrying about my "p.o.s." vehicle. I stopped worrying about what will happen when my dad passes. One minute the doc says it's time for hospice and the next minute hospice is telling us he'll live for a hundred years. Life is a carnival!!! Glad to see you back on the blog, Jan. I've missed you. happy unstopping in 2013! XOXO Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - you made me laugh. It's good that you stopped all of those things. I've stopped many negative behaviors too - worrying, self-flagellating, constant rehearsing -- but I don't want to stop the positive ones. I'm glad to be back and hope I can stay back.

      Delete
  3. Are you still creating jewelry? Maybe that has fulfilled your need to create? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it did, I would not be lamenting these other things. Making jewelry takes a different kind of energy and a radically different kind of patience - at least for me. Writing, dancing, music never drain my energy or "try" my patience.

      Delete