Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Reflections from an Orphan

I wanted to write about my mom this Mother’s Day. I loved her dearly. She gave so much to me and I miss her incredibly. But as I have repeatedly stalled out over the words the past few days, I finally accepted that perhaps I was just not ready to do so. 

I have never put much emphasis on Mother’s Day, at least not as far as me being the mother is concerned. I’ve always considered it to be one of those Hallmark holidays that obligate people to spend money or feel guilty if they don’t. It’s filled with imperatives. I do not want to be feted out of duty. I’d rather be treated to lunch in the middle of March “just because” than to be paraded into a restaurant on Mother’s Day with the rest of the throngs because the calendar and big business dictates it. This position, however, has never stopped me from trying to meet other people’s needs on Mother’s Day.

Then
My first memory of trying to make my mother happy on Mother’s Day was when I was about 8. I decided that my sister and I should pool our allowances (saved faithfully week after week in our homemade Tupperware banks) and convince our father to take mom to Lake Placid for a weekend. Lake Placid, I knew, had been their honeymoon destination, so I figured it had to be a nice place. The reason for this particular gift was to give her a break from my sister and me because we fought constantly. Mom just hated that. “I can stand noise,” she always said, “but I can’t stand fighting.”  Dad was only too happy to agree to the plan especially since it involved a road trip, although I’m sure it cost him a bundle more than what we had to offer up as payment.  However, since affordability was never a barrier to his good time, he willingly complied and whisked her away.

My last memory of trying to bring my mother happiness on Mother’s Day was the spring before she passed away. It had become my practice to fly her and my brother to New York City for Mother’s Day, but that year she was much too weak to tolerate airports and hassles. So, my daughter and I trekked across the state to spend the day with her, my brother, and our aunt and uncle. Photos taken of her that day provide evidence that she was already beginning to fade away from us.

The following year, she was gone. My brother, having lost his mother and his home as a result, had been moved into a group home; my aunt, mom’s older sister, wept much of the time, in disbelief and grief.  So my attention turned to their needs. I felt driven to show up, to “be there” for them, and to try to make the day as easy as possible. Mother’s Day now included a visit to the cemetery, bouquets of roses, mom’s favorite, lovingly placed at her grave, and dinner out with the survivors. Mom had already abandoned them – I couldn’t do the same.  My daughter understood and urged me to do what I needed to do.  She understands internal conflict.

And now
This year was to be my sixth Mother’s Day as an orphan. I decided to stay home. Well, not so much stay home as come home because I was actually across the state with my brother as the weekend began. My sweet daughter had announced weeks before as we compared schedules her intention to block Mother’s Day off to spend with me. Although we connect most days by text or email, we don’t get to see each other as often as we’d like. It’s rare that we end up with the same day free. So this was an offer not to be refused and with her, obligation is not even a consideration. I drove home Saturday night to be with her.

Sunday unfolds into sunshine. I pick her up at her apartment in the city early – 7:30 a.m. which means I am up at 6.  She could have taken the train but fetching her means more time together so I am totally up for the trip no matter what the hour or how little sleep I’ve had. The conversation begins the minute she climbs in the car, and it doesn’t stop. At home, we make breakfast together, fresh blueberry pancakes, gluten-free, and we laugh over the chai lattes we bought on the way here. The day morphs into stunningly gorgeous. We leave the house and walk on a nearby winding parkway that closes to motorized traffic for eight glorious Sundays in the spring. I have always wanted to do this, but weather and my constant cross-state trips have conspired against it until today. We share the pavement with bikes, joggers, strollers, and other walkers.  The trees are in full bloom and often shade the road; the river for which the parkway is named, is swollen and rushes over the rocks creating music in the background. We talk non-stop about our jobs, what we want for the future, vacation plans, current events, men in her life, how our shopping ban is going, and our observations about how people we encounter with children are interacting with them. Five-and-a-half miles later, in only slight pain, we leave the parkway, stop at a yuppie deli in my village, order sandwiches and eat outside on sidewalk tables. We top it off with gelato and refuse to feel guilty.  We are comfortable in our jeans (me) and yoga pants (her) and we are together. No reservations necessary.

As we sit on the sidewalk, she suddenly asks, “So how are you doing today?”  This is not a random or rhetorical question. She means, “Are you ok since this is Mother’s Day and grammie is dead?” She’s probably been wondering when and how to fit this in during our conversation which has now spanned several hours. A part of her truly wants an open and authentic relationship with me and by definition, this must include both the good and the not-so-good. The other part of her hopes I’m still the mom who can handle everything, including my emotions with aplomb.    

Knowing my daughter, I should have expected it, but I admit the question catches me off-guard. I hesitate, not quite knowing what to say. I go for the truth. “Well,” I say carefully. “I know it is Mother’s Day, and I am aware that my own mom is not here. But did I wake up this morning and have my first thought be about what I don’t have? No, I did not.  I confess it wasn’t even my second thought. What I did think was I’m so happy I’m going to see my kid today. My mind was on what I do have.”  I hasten to add that I do miss Grammie, almost every day. But this year I am at peace. I am home with my own precious child.  And it is a perfect day.

10 comments:

  1. I felt like I was there walking with you both- imagining that feel that only NY City can bring- Remembering being there with my own daughter a few years ago- and I am sure on Mother's Day it could not have been more perfect* "I am with you" - merchants and the calender demand our money with guilt on so many holidays, I have to admit I do love finding the perfect card for each occassion.
    As a mother I can still remember the nurse in the hospital where Alyson was born handing me this tiny 6.2 lb. bundle that I managed to bring to life and she was healthy & all mine and to this day she is my everything- as I know your daughter is to you- she has become a special lady to spend that day with you -- that is when you know you have succeeded at being rewarded that special day & the title of Mother well earned<3 Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn. I share similar memories. Of every experience in my life so far, the most life-changing, life-affirming moment was when J burst into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if any of the makers of mother's day realized how many different ways they would give us to ponder the day. My ex-husband always made the day my worst, by stating to our young children that I wasn't his mother so he didn't concern himself with mother's day. A delightful day...it was not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,
    Well, I'm glad you "lost" him along the way. Good riddance. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the joy of it all is that you have shared both your Mother and your daughter with me a 41 year orphan and non mother

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happily so, Christine! Although perhaps not the mother of a biological child, you have been like a mother to more people than I can remember or count! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom has been gone for quite some time now, and I guess I don't consider myself an "orphan" as both she and my dad lived pretty long lives. But, not a day goes by that I don't think of her and wish she were still here. When something good happens, I wish I could share the good news with her (but am hoping she is watching)! Gad you had a great day with your J.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, that's when I miss mom the most... when something good or exciting happens. I always feel like a little something is missing, like my joy has a chip out of it. I, too, hope they're watching us, smiling and cheering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother used to say..., "as far as I'm concerned, every day is Mother's Day!" It was her way of reminding us that mothers do a lot and need appreciation, not just one day a year.
    She was also saying..., " it's okay, honey, if you didn't buy me a present" for that one "special" day in May.
    It let us off the hook knowing we had 364 other opportunities to do the right thing, so we shouldn't worry.
    She died in March of 2000, and every day since I've missed her loving and reassuring presence in my life.
    As you've pointed out Jan, unconditional love is a wonderful legacy.
    Money is nice but not nearly as valuable when it comes to the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jan,
    Bless you. I did have a crowd of family around me but not either of my sons and as you know my mom is gone too. I admit there were moments of missing my own mother. We did celebrate my sister, Sherry's birthday (your brother David knows her well). That made things good. Plus I got to walk the old roads in Darien with my best childhood friend who is also an orphan. We must endeavor to find the good things in our lives - my mom always said "things could always be so much worse". Thank you for this beautiful message. - Robin

    ReplyDelete