Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Truth of Two Women


This is how I feel most days.

Remember the Flaying of Marsyas? This is a painting that horrified and intrigued me when I first saw it in a textbook as a child. I couldn’t believe people actually did that to each other but now I do. I suppose the imagery is a little drastic. Forgive me for that.
It’s just that somebody is always at me for something. I sit and talk with my “heart mother”.  I lament that I feel unprotected from the elements (those elements being other humans) and they are picking away at me like vultures might the carcass of an unlucky woodchuck. She nods toward my ever-in-motion hands to draw my attention to the fact that I am, as I speak, ripping away bits of my cuticles with a vengeance. (Johnson & Johnson – they love me.)

My daughter forwarded me an email not long ago, saying that it reminded her of me and she wanted to share it. The email was written by a young (compared to me anyway) woman, Meredith Levick, who sends a daily missive to readers, called Morning Love Letter. As I’ve received several of these “love letters” over time, my impression is that they are largely reflections, memories, challenges, and musings that inspire and provoke her readers to be who they are without apology. Something I’m still learning to do.

This one came shortly after I had written about feeling pressured to perform in ways that pleased others (Exposed: Being Seen & Heard, 2/23/11). I reprint it with her permission.

Truth.

People have told me that I should change the name of this mission to Daily Love Letter because I rarely send it in the morning,
but I don't want to
because the essence of it is morning, a consciousness of starting over,
and if I can't make it happen until 1:14 p.m. then so be it.

So I won't (change it).
Truth.

People have asked me when my next workshop is,
and why I haven't been advertising it lately,
but I'm making space for myself to explore what's right in terms of what's next,
and the rushing seems like it would be sloppy and disadvantageous for all.

So I won't (rush this).
Truth.

People have judged my choices,
mocked me up close and from a distance,
and I do consider lashing back because I'm enraged (if but only for a brief period of time).
They have talked smack behind my back and to my face,
and the daggers only cut as painfully as the original wounds which I'm working on healing.
I don't know it all, but I do know that I am more certain than the anger of another.

So I won't (lash back).
Truth.
  
There is a world of people out there
wondering why, what, how, where, and when.

But the clock is mine, and so is this keyboard,
and my heart, my purpose, my decisions, my integrity,
these cannot be compromised by what others do and don't like.

Bending to your whims,
rushing for the comfort of others,
attacking to become another boxer in the ring of hatred,

that can be your lifetime.

Because it certainly isn't going to be how I spend mine.

*****************************************
Thank you, Meredith. Perfect.   

9 comments:

  1. I never saw one instant of vengeance in you ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect it is a condition of current circumstance :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's SO true! I repeatedly find myself caught in this whirlpool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we should start a group and figure this out once and for all (in our collective spare time). Yeah. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure I know anyone who doesn't feel judged, attacked, picked apart to some degree. And, not sure I know anyone who isn't guilty of DOING that very thing. Often times, those who are feeling picked apart/judged are most guilty of doing it to others. Almost like projection in a way. Anyway, I like her final comment - "my purpose, my integrity cannot be compromised by what others do and don't like." People will always judge and come "at" you for doing what they believe is not the right thing...but it's you that you have to grow old with. It's YOU that you have to answer to at the end of the day. F everyone else...and their judgements. Chances are, they aren't very happy people anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anon,
    Thanks for your assessment. Mostly true. Some of us have a less tough exterior and less ability to fend off and withstand. Good for you to be where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually Jan, I would not say I am "there." I need to remind myself of that very sentiment every day. Like you (and everyone else), I am surrounded by people who feel the need (or impulse) to judge/pick apart. Reminding myself that I am the only one that needs a justification for my actions is a matter of survival. Perhaps my tolerance for judgement is a bit tougher than that of some others. However, I believe it's all about interpretation and not simply an "exterior." Your mention of an "exterior" implies that the inside is different. I wake up every day loving my life (internally and externally). I've decided I don't give a damn if others don't like my life (including my decisions/actions). They don't have to live it! Sounds like you are feeling the same way -- perhaps just taking a while to get used to it. :-) Thanks for "something to chew on!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anon,
    You're welcome. Your point about interpretation is well taken and right on. I didn't mean to imply that inside differs from outside. I was really referring to defenses, barriers and the like. I think that tolerance for judgment probably sums it up best. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need a few extra tools in your tool box to keep the hungry masses from picking at you. May I suggest: Grumpy face in the morning (sets the tone for others to keep their distance), cursing just loud enough for others to hear and say to themselves "better stay away from her today" and, if this fails, the word "no" sprinkled throughout the day!

    ReplyDelete