Friday, December 10, 2010

Mom's Christmas Cookies

Christmas has always been the hands-down winner of the My Favorite Holiday vote. I’ve loved everything about it for as long as I can remember (except for the real-tree-fire-hazards of my early childhood).

When I was small, there would always come a day in the endless set of days between Thanksgiving and Christmas when my mom would pull out her big old Mixmaster.  She would announce that today we were going to bake cookies, and my sister’s and my eyes would light up with happiness. The first job was to mix up her renowned sour cream sugar cookies. That dough had to chill for what seemed like hours until it was stiff enough to roll out. So after the dough was deposited in the refrigerator and covered with a dish towel, we got to work making “Spritz” butter cookies. My sister and I, decked out in matching aprons made by our grandmother, traded off cracking the eggs, being careful not to massacre the shell or lose any of the unwanted egg white in the bowl of ingredients, lest our mother (the perfectionist) decide we were too young to be trusted with the job. We watched intently as she loaded the pastry tube with the yellow dough and perfectly pressed out wreaths and trees and poinsettias. If we promised to be neat, we got to carefully sprinkle the red and green sugars (no such thing as blue and purple and pink back then) on her creations, and press little cinnamon rounds where a wreath bow or tree star or poinsettia cyathium belonged. It was then that I decided that cinnamon was my absolute favorite flavor, and I probably snuck more than I planted in place.

Those delicious cookies baked quickly so we didn’t have to delay gratification too long to get the first yummy bite of Christmas. Then it would be lunch time, and after that we’d pepper her with constant teasing, “Is the dough ready yet?” until finally – finally – she’d declare it firm enough, and the real fun began. She’d get out her pastry cloth and flour it lightly, encase the old wooden rolling pin in its cloth, and deftly roll out the dough. My sister and I got to cut out the cookies – trees and stars and bells and Santas – and place them carefully on the cookie sheets, being mindful not to alter their shape with our small and sometimes clumsy hands. The best part was after they were baked, when mom mixed confectionary sugar, butter, and a little bit of milk into frosting. The privilege of frosting the cookies was always hers and she did it perfectly, carefully moving the frosting from the middle out to the edges, as neat as can be. Once the frosting was completed, she’d set it down and then my sister and I got to decorate again. This time, in addition to the red and green, we had yellow sugar and chocolate & multi-color “jimmies”, red cinnamon rounds, and silver balls to create our masterpieces. We still had to be neat about it. My mom was very particular – trees had to be green (though a little red as an accent was ok) and stars had to be yellow, and I guess she wasn’t fussy about the bells or Santas.

I still remember the first time I nervously frosted a cookie myself – I was probably about 12 or 13 – and I was determined that it would look as perfect as my mom’s beautiful creations.  

Mom’s cookies gradually developed a following outside of her immediate family. Everyone loved them and she never failed to deliver. When she was sick with cancer and the holidays were approaching, she made cookies on her better days and froze them so she’d have them when she wanted to start giving them away. After she passed away in January 2006, cleaning out her freezer, I uncovered a Tupperware container filled with bells and stars. I brought them home with me and put them in my freezer. Along with them came a couple of pie crusts and a cool whip container filled with her chicken stock. For almost five years, I dodged them as other things came and went in the freezer.

This year at Thanksgiving, with family coming for the first time for the holiday in New York, I needed to make room in the freezer for other items. Everything came under scrutiny. Out went the old frozen veggies and fruit that I hadn’t gotten around to using. Out went the boxes of Girl Scout thin mint cookies I bought years ago when my daughter still ate them. Out went the too-strong coffee from I can’t remember where or when. I checked out the container of chicken stock. Definitely time to ditch that. Out it went. Not too painful. I checked out the pie crusts. Freezer burned. Plus under the one that she definitely made, I discovered two “store-bought” crusts – bogus! Out they went. No tears shed.

The cookies were left. I argued with myself – these are FIVE YEARS old. You’ll make more. These can’t be any good. Stop being so sentimental. You’ll make more. You’ll make more. You’ll make more.

I stood there alone in my kitchen. Nobody else was around to urge me one way or another. I remembered walking into mom’s kitchen every other weekend during almost the entire last year of her life. Though she was usually lying on the couch in the living room when I arrived, exhausted from chemo and the effort to keep the house and everything going for my brother, the kitchen counter almost always held her large round Tupperware container filled with frosted, decorated sour cream cookies just for me because I loved them. Those cookies were an ongoing act of mother-love. The evidence sat on my shelf. They still connect me with her.

I put the cookies back in the freezer.

11 comments:

  1. Cookies & Moms & Christmas just go together. A beautiful memory and one time that it's okay to indulge in the sugar,my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep 'em. always. all the GCC gals probably remember, like me, the very last bite of your mother's cookies we had. and every year now, I make them and frost them with my grandsons. and I tell my family every year about my friend, my mentor, my adopted mom - Win, her life, her family and her sour cream cookies. lovely story, Jan. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed spending time with your Mom. You're right about those cookies. I quickly abandoned my Mom's recipe and went to Win's after your sister married my brother. My husband's family of 20 fight over them on Christmas. We found that, if I brought them in at the beginning of the Christmas party, folks skipped the Polish sausage and crushiekies. (spelling?)
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found myself hoping you decided to bake the cookies and they were wonderful, albeit made out of five year old dough. How funny is that...?
    In the end I'm glad the dough sits in your freezer as a talisman of love and remembrance.
    A nice suspenseful piece, keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen, it wasn't dough, they were already baked cookies that she'd stocked ahead on one of her better days. BTW, I did defrost one in the microwave and found it still delicious after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chuckled at your carefull quest not to alter the shape of the cookies. I wonder what Gram is thinking as she watches over our deformed shapes. Some of the Valentine's cutters even made it out of the bag by a very anxious (heart happy) little girl. Bells are missing corners because she opted for a spot that didnt have quite enough dough. Her hearts look like someone already took a bite out. I can only imagine what today's frosting/decorating adventure will bring. I can assure you, trees will not be only green. Hopefully Gram's not too disappointed :) Maybe I'll start with perfectionism NEXT year.
    As for the frozen cookies, so glad you ate one! Now you can feel justified in keeping them in the freezer. After all, they ARE still edible. xo ~ L

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gram will be nothing but delighted to know you are making her cookies with your own little ones. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this story. and I would have kept the cookies, too. I still have one of my Dad's favorite shirts hanging in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jan - I love this story! Hope to see you next Saturday. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  10. So special, and I still making cookies with mom - well not really making them - she does the baking and this Saturday I will once again get to decorate her PERFECTLY ICED cookies:) I am so glad you tried one of the 5 yr cookies- it is amazing how special that taste must have been.
    Love your writings and thanks so much for sharing- It was almost like I was right there in the house watching you & Carol in your matching aprons! luv ya Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad that you kept the cookies.

    ReplyDelete