Sunday, August 15, 2010

Now What Do I Do?

I take a sharp breath. I feel a punch of fear just under my ribcage. I have just opened an email from someone in my life, a writer, who is my standard bearer for writing. “I’d like it to be time,” she writes, “that you begin your own blog.” In her opinion, I should be sharing my experiences and insights with others, not just her. She says it’s really simple to set up a blog and sends me a link to blogspot to demonstrate her point.

This is not the first time she has tossed similar words in my direction. The occasion now is that I have commented on a provocative blog entry that she has written about the idea of home. Although I have been brief, what I write makes it obvious that I have a lot more to say on the subject.

Setting up a blog is easy from a technical point of view. From the internal point of view, it is not so easy, at least for people like me who are both compulsive and intensely private. Almost every decision creates conflict, especially when I come face to face with the question of what to call it and whether to use my “real” name. I remember another conversation between us about writing. I had written, “I want to be heard but if I put myself out there, I risk being known. If I am known, can I still navigate this world and meet people’s gaze? Where are the boundaries? Will I survive the scrutiny? Writing is the easy part… it is the sharing that evokes incredible panic.” This, she did not understand. I tried to explain my anxiety around being heard (or not) and feeling invisible. She responded simply, “Courage.”

Whether it is courage or a moment of impulsive insanity that brought me here, I do not know. It’s not entirely clear to me what this blog will be about, but I expect that I will write about that which provokes and stimulates me. A lot of things do. Should I write something along the way that provokes you too, please comment. It would be nice if this blog became a community gathering place.

4 comments:

  1. I think that this blog will probably turn out a great deal like your films. You will start some place with a very clear idea of what you want to say. You will say it and say it well, but when we who love you read (or as in the films, watch it) we will see many things that you never saw and the person you thought was invisible will give those of us who love you a deeper understanding of who you are and we will be awed again and again at how fortunate we are to have you in our orbit. I read your blog today and although I was there for a lot of the story, I kept hoping for another page. So, do not desert us when it is time for a dissertation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... wow.... thank you. For once I am speechless, well...almost. There will be another page... and luckily, no dissertation required. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm catching up on your earlier posts. I believe this will be easy for you in no time, and a pleasure for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the writing. A wonderful 'blog'.

    ReplyDelete